1)What is a charter school?
Charter Schools are public schools pf choice. Charter schools provide education through a "charter," which is a type of contract granted by a chartering entity such as the State Board of Education or the board of trustees of an independent school district.
2)What are the purposes of charter schools?
The purposes of charter schools are to:
· Improve student learning.
· Increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system.
· Create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system.
· Establish a new form of accountability for public schools.
· Encourage different and innovative learning methods.
3) Is there any tuition?
No, there is no tuition.
4) Is your school (ASE- Albuquerque School of Excellence) accredited?
Yes, like all the other public schools ASE is a New Mexico Public education Department accredited school.
5) How is the school funded?
Like independent school districts, charter schools receive state funds. Unlike independent school districts, however, charter schools do not receive funds from local tax revenue. Charter schools may also receive funds from private sources.
6) Are you a Albuquerque Public School?
No, we are an independent charter school.
7) Who can attend your school? Any particular school district zone?
Charter schools are public schools of choice. Any student, regardless of the school that they are zoned to, may attend Albuquerque School of Excellence.
8) Is there a test or exam to be qualified? What are the criteria to get into your school?
There is no testing required to attend Albuquerque School of Excellence. Timely application, a lottery, and availability of space are the determining factors for enrolment.
9) Do you provide transportation?
Albuquerque School of Excellence is not able to provide transportation at this time. That's because the school is not zoned like traditional public schools, which makes a large number of transportation zones. The number of students from the same transportation zone is not yet sufficient to make the transportation available to our parents at a reasonable cost.
10) What are the hours for the school?
From 8:00 AM till 3:15 PM.
The school will be open at 7:30 AM.
11) Is there an after-school program?
There is an after-school program from 3:15 PM to 4:05 PM. The latest time to pick up a child is 4:20pm. The after-school program includes;
· Study and tutoring time,
· Club time,
Some of the clubs can be listed as board games, sports, computer time, art and crafts, choir, karate and robotics.
For complete list of clubs please contact us.